Thursday, July 12, 2007

The most gratifying loss ever

First - a very funny link I must share, relating to an incident earlier in the season against the Blue Sox- http://www.njjewishnews.com/njjn.com/071207/edcolTakeMeOut.html

I didn't have my best stuff today, and lasted only three innings. 2 home runs, 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts later, I was back in the dugout trying to will our team to a come-from-behind victory, a feat we nearly accomplished. My velocity was down and my changeup was inconsistent, so hitters seemed to have a fairly easy time with my best efforts, and the Miracle scored (without seeing the box score yet) 5 runs before I was lifted in favor of Fabian Armenta.

The most disappointing aspect was that I was unable to defend the three run lead that my teammates had put in front of me after the second inning. After a 1-2-3 first inning with a strikeout, I was full of confidence - but my arm (and the Modi'in batters) simply didn't agree.

We fought back and drew to within 2 runs two separate times, but couldn't break through and eventually lost 8-6. Still, the persistence that was shown by our hitters and our defense was remarkable, and the vibe in the dugout was one of confidence. If we carry this spirit through the rest of the season, we should finish among the league's top teams. Even after I came out of the game in the fourth, instead of throwing a tantrum as I used to do in college, instead I was confident that the team would stay in the game and fight back. It was surprising and refreshing, and is probably just a result of getting older and more mature.

Anyways... we play early tomorrow at 10am at the beautiful Yarkon Field against Petach Tikva, and Matt Comiter will be starting on the hill. The team is in good spirits, and it will hopefully be a good start to the weekend.

Which brings me to report that I will likely be joining the McKemie's in Bet Shemesh again this weekend, as an invitation greeted me in my Gmail Inbox tonight. I'm looking forward to the experience and hope to have many stories to recount in the days to come.

'Night-

-MK

1 comment:

Diane said...

Was glad to read your blog and your upbeat perspective - very good outlook. It must have been a tough loss but your team's spirit and attitude will show more and more numbers in the win category as the season goes on. Attitude is nine tenths of the law, or something to that effect.
Have fun!
L,
M